Samsung Recalls Galaxy Note 7 Over Explosive Batteries
The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the mobile “bursting” during or after phone battery charging. The South Korean firm said customers who’d already purchased the mobile would have the ability to swap it for a brand new one.
Samsung said it had been hard to work out which smartphones were changed among the 2.5 million Note 7s sold that causing the main issue.
“There was a tiny problem in the manufacturing process, so it was very difficult to figure out,” the president of Samsung’s mobile business Koh Dong-jin told reporters.
“It will cost us so much it makes my heart ache. Nevertheless, the reason we made this decision is because what is most important is customer safety,” he said.
The company said it’d take about two weeks to prepare replacement device.
Based on Samsung, the mobile has been found in 10 states so far but with distinct firms providing the batteries.
The recall comes only one week ahead of an anticipated demonstration of a brand new iPhone version from its chief competitor Apple. This is an amazing choice for a technology giant to make based on so few reported incidents – Samsung says it’s conscious of just 35 cases worldwide.
It is terrible time so shortly after a large product launch and particularly given that Samsung’s opponent Apple is understood to be preparing to unveil a brand new iPhone.
On the other hand, the company says it’s detected a problem with the battery cell and is preventing sales while it scrutinizes its providers.
People that have already purchased the device – that is exclusively accessible to preorder in the UK – will be issued with a replacement unit.
Stories about bursting smartphone batteries do make the news from time to time – lithium ion batteries are flammable but quite extensively used especially on smartphones.
Over recent days, several users have reported their mobiles catching fire or exploding while charging, and Samsung said it had verified 35 such instances.
A YouTube user uploaded a video under the name Ariel Gonzalez on 29th August about a Galaxy Note 7 with burned rubber casing and damaged the display.
He said the handset “caught fire” right after he unplugged the official Samsung charger, less than a fortnight after buying it.
Additional pictures of a burned Galaxy Note 7 were uploaded to Kakao Story, a popular social media website in Korea, on 30th August.
A user wrote: “There was another explosion of the Galaxy Note 7. It was my friend’s phone. A Samsung employee checked the site and he is currently in talks over the compensation with Samsung. You should use its original charger just in case and leave the phone far away from where you are while charging.”
The mobile was just established on 19th August and has since then been generally well-received by critics and consumers.
The Galaxy Note 7 version is the latest of Samsung’s string of so-called phablets – smartphones with huge displays, advanced specs, and features.
Samsung additionally added an iris scanner to the Note 7, which lets users unlock the phone by finding patterns in the eyes. Also, its waterproof feature catches the attention of many smartphones users.
In July, Samsung surpasses expectations with record gains in the most recent quarter with powerful smartphone sales helping the company post its best quarterly ends in more than two years.
Samsung had called the continuing increase in demand for its smartphones and tablet computers in the second half of the year.
Why do lithium batteries explode?
There have just been 35 instances of the Galaxy Note 7 catching fire reported worldwide following 2.5 million sales, Samsung says.
The lithium ion batteries used by Samsung are common across the technology sector. If so, what makes them dangerous?
It is important that you understand a bit about how they work. Only they comprise a cathode, an anode, and lithium. The cathode and anode are separated by an organic liquid called an electrolyte and a porous substance called the separator. The lithium goes through the separator, within the liquid, between them both. If the battery charges overly quick, producing heat, lithium plates from around the anode which can create a short circuit.